Sunday, October 14, 2007

Sock Wars

I've not had a lot of knitting time as we are in full homeschooling mode right now. But I forgot I signed up for Sock Wars. You see, your goal is to knit a pair of socks (from a given pattern) as fast as you can then mail them to your "target" to "kill" them. They then send you their partially completed socks along with the info on their target, and you kill them, and so on. Well, my "dossier" came on Friday and I dutifully knit as fast as I could. I finished the socks this evening, but I'll be killed at about the same time these arrive at my target. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted!
On another note, we spent the entire Friday at doctor/orthodontist appointments. Garrett got his poky wire fixed first, then off we went to OHSU for 3 different appointments. First, a comprehensive hearing test for Brendyn. He failed his screen at school in the spring, and we found out about 2 months ago that it's because he has fluid behind his eardrums. We waited 8 weeks hoping his body would rid itself of the fluid, but the hearing test proved that it hasn't. He didn't do any better this time than 2 months ago. So, off to the ENT doctor we went. According to her, it won't clear on it's own, and our choices are to let his hearing stay bad, or get ear tubes placed. So, we're opting for the tubes. While they're at it, they're going to remove his adenoids and possibly his tonsils. If so, I'll be glad. He's a snorer and mouth breather and maybe getting rid of that stuff will help that. Plus he had exudative tonsillitis this summer. He freaked out on the table and was bawling his poor little eyes out at the thought of surgery until he learned he could have lots of ice cream. Now he's going around telling everyone he's having surgery.
We got a quick x-ray of his neck (the adenoids), then we rushed off to eat a quick lunch in the hospital cafe. It was pretty good.
Then, off to Garrett's developmental pediatrician. We've elected to add an afternoon dose of his ADHD meds for better behavior control. We forgot to give it to him this weekend but I'll hopefully remember tomorrow. I might have to set an alarm.
I ordered some camouflage yarn and I'm going to try to knit up a bunch of hats to sell at Christmas bazarrs this season. My friend Katie is going to have a table selling something so I'll probably share with her. Even if I could make a few bucks that would be good. We live in hunting country so camouflage stuff will go over well.

No comments: