Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Much better.......

So I think I may have finally figured out my "master numbers" to knit Cat Bordhi's socks. No, they aren't what I thought they would be, nor do they seem to be what my real feet measure. I used those numbers and the socks turned out huge, even though my gauge is spot on. I'm on about my 10th incarnation of the riverbed master sock and I think this time I might finally have it right. Good thing that KP Felici yarn holds up well to multiple froggings. Here's the weird thing. I wear a size 9 shoe, but my feet really don't measure the length that she says a woman's size 9 is. Perhaps I'm wearing the wrong size shoe, but the last 8 1/2's I bought my toe touched the end. Supposedly my mid-foot should be a 9-9.5 (which is is at least on my measuring tape) but I'm ending up making socks using an 8 inch mid-foot circumference (with the Felici at least) and I think they are going to fit perfect. The other sizes weren't even hugging my foot at all. So I'm using 56 stitches around, which will probably be too small for my fat calves but since I've basically figured all this myself, I suppose I can figure in calf shaping. I hope to knit until I run out of yarn since these are 50g balls. Maybe I'll get a pair of knee highs for big girls out of it. These socks look weird when you knit them. Kind of boxy and unattractive when not on one's feet. I sure hope they look better when I have them knit in my size, and on my feet.
My back is still f-ed up. The doctor says I should get some massage therapy. Yeah, tell my insurance company that. Supposedly the lady in town who does massage is really cheap though (and good) so I think I'll call her tomorrow to see if I can get in on Friday since Dan is taking the day off.
Found out today there are 14 other kids in Vernonia enrolled in Connections. That will be good for the boys. There are at least 2 others in 2nd grade, and I don't know about the rest of them. Hopefully we'll soon meet the other families. K (my friend whose daughter already goes there) and I are hoping to get a co-op going where we do 4 stations (science, PE, arts/crafts, and snack) all together. I think that would be awesome!
G has to have his braces tightened tomorrow. I feel bad for him. I remember how much it used to hurt. Fortunately he's done quite well with them. It does mean a long trip into town tomorrow though, and a trip through Banks to pick up my new BP meds. Let's hope it doesn't make me feel as crappy as the old one did.
I got my Lucky Lurker sock yarn on Saturday and it's really pretty. She does a really nice job, but I'm not fond of her patterns. She likes "afterthought" heels and I don't care for those. I should preface that by saying I've never done one, but I don't care for how they look. Besides, right now I'm obsessed with Cat Bordhi socks. I'll be stalking Amazon when her new one comes out.

No comments: